RN Charge Nurse
Parker is a pioneer in the field of long-term care and aging services. We are among the first to embrace person-directed care, small home models, and changing the conversation around aging in America. Parker is a not-for-profit organization with a mission “to discover ways to make aging manageable, relatable, and enriching for all of society” and a vision to “make aging part of life.” With our tremendous growth and diversity into new markets, we are seeking an RN Charge Nurse for our home in Somerset, NJ.
This position, in collaboration with the Unit Manager is responsible for effective overall management of the 30 bed post-acute care rehabilitation and 30 bed LTC unit. This position requires overall teamwork and collaboration with the Unit Manager and other nurse leaders in the post-acute and long term care units. Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills are critical. This is a fast paced position that requires commitment, proficient organization, and excellent employee relation and management skills. The charge nurse is responsible for the coordination with other disciplines to provide quality care to all residents.
- Coordinates with Unit Manager, Admissions department in the selection of residents to be admitted by evaluating the level and amount of care required by prospective residents in relation to existing nursing capabilities.
- Oversees admissions, transfers and discharges to optimize patient bed flow within the unit.
- Consistently uses research based/evidence based resources, where available to assess, plan and implement care.
- Assigns patient care aligning patient acuity with qualification of available staff. Delegates responsibilities appropriate to the licensure, education and experience of staff in accordance with the requirements of the NJ Board of Nursing guidelines on delegation
- Makes patient rounds at least once during assigned shift
- Coordinates interdisciplinary resident care management efforts. Assesses and evaluates the quality of care rendered by staff members. Ensuring that nursing interventions meet the personal, physical and cognitive needs of each resident as well as maximize his/her self-care capacities, identity, independence, and choice.
- Monitors the efficiencies and outcomes of nursing service activities by evaluating the performance of nursing staff, ensuring compliance with all facility and regulatory agency standards, policies and procedures, coordinating facility committees and monitoring the effective and efficient use of budgeted resources (personnel, supplies, equipment).
- Participates in plan of action implementation to correct deficient areas identified on quality reviews and monitors for effectiveness.
- Reports any significant changes in condition of the patients, unit activity any incidents and or personal problems to the Unit Manager or designee.
- Reviews patient / resident conditions to ensure that changes in condition are communicated to the appropriate medical staff as well as to the Unit Manager/ designee using the chain of command processes as needed
- Communicates unit activity changes that affect the delivery of patient/resident care to the Unit Manager/ designee.
- Communicates resident/patient change in conditions to outside practioners to minimize transfer/rehospitalization
- Collaboratively works with Unit Manager to ensure policy review and implementation, staff education, and staff minutes review.
- Collaboratively works with Unit Manager, Staff Development Educator to orient/mentor new employees
- Assists the Unit Manager in planning for and implementing mechanisms to encourage growth and development of staff.
- Takes charge of the day- to day activities on the floor
- Huddles with staff at the beginning of the shift to overview expected events for the day
- Listens to report for all residents on the floor. Ensure discharges are completed in a timely manner and assists floor nurse as needed
- Facilitates resident timeliness for appointments, therapy and leave of absence stays etc.
- Assists in admission by completing medication reconciliation, POS and e-MAR
- Supports floor nurses in carrying out/ taking off orders in a timely manner
- Assist floor nurses with phone calls as able
- Monitor and ensure 72 hour chart check completed per policy
- Oversees and organizes CNA responsibilities
- Maintain a work schedule that ensures the presence of the Charge Nurse on periodic weekends or evenings, nights and holidays.
- Committed to working on the floor as needed.
- Project a positive image of the facility by displaying a high degree of professionalism, demonstrating concern and courtesy in interactions with residents, families, medical staff, employees, volunteers and outside agencies affiliated with the facility.
- Demonstrates the ability to function independently, have personal integrity, flexibility, and the ability to work effectively with residents, personnel and support agencies.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with all coworkers, staff, residents, and families on an ongoing basis, utilizing tact, clarity, discretion and fairness.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and clearly with the Unit Manager/DON/Administrator+.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when necessary.
Charge Nurse – Acute Care Rehab Unit, R.N.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
- Hospital experience preferred.
- Experience in Geriatric Nursing, including management responsibilities.
- Must possess a current, unencumbered license to practice as a RN in the State.
- Must possess current AHA CPR Certificate.
- Experience in nursing specialty of Geriatrics or Long Term Care is desirable.
- Familiarity with State and Federal Regulations.
This opportunity offers the following:
- Competitive Compensation
- Annual Bonus
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Pension Plan
- 403(b) plan
- Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription Drug Plans
- Health Savings Account
- Company Paid Life & AD&D Insurance
- Company Paid Long Term Disability Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Onsite Wellness Center & Wellness Plan Reimbursement
Qualified candidates, please forward resume with salary requirements: email@example.com
- : Parker
- : Susan Lauritzen, SHRM-CP
- : https:/www.parkerlife.org
- : firstname.lastname@example.org